Saturday, April 27, 2013

Review: Club Justice by Mara McBain

Book Description: 

Frustrated by a system that binds his hands yet frees those that prey on the innocent, Detective Zeke Brawer pushes the law to the letter and beyond. His shooting of a serial rapist brings him under Internal Affairs investigation, and makes him the target of a personal vendetta that threatens his career, family, and the motorcycle club he loves.

“CLUB JUSTICE” is a tale of justice, brotherhood, and family, and one man's struggle to stay true to each."







I didn’t know what to expect out of this book but what I got was completely unexpected. I loved this book. Every page of it. Once in a while, you find a book that just consumes you. For me, this was one of those books. I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep until I had finished it. I stayed up all night reading. However, I didn’t anticipate that it would haunt me even after I was finished. After I went to bed, I kept waking up because I was dreaming about the book and wanted to go back to it. I obviously wasn’t ready for the book to end. Thank goodness there's a second book!

Honestly…I’m not sure I wanted to read this book. At least, not when I actually read it. A few weeks ago (right after reading Reaper's Property) I started looking for other books that were biker romance. I came across this one. But I was hesitant to buy it because I wasn’t 100% sold on it based on the description. So, I looked at the borrowing sites to see if I could borrow it. Low and behold, I was able to…and I got a copy soon after that. Now, fast forward almost 2 weeks and I get an email that my loan is about to expire. So, I decided to bite the bullet and read this book. I wasn’t looking forward to it and I wasn’t in the mood for it…or so I thought. Once I actually sat down with it, I was hooked. I couldn’t put it down. Lol, I actually started this with a friend. We did a decent job at staying around the same % mark of the book until she had some things to do. I kept reading. And before I knew it, I was 50% into the book. At that point, I offered to stop and wait for her to catch up but thankfully, she gave permission for me to keep going. And I thank god for that because putting down this book would just about have killed me! I had to know what was going to happen!

I loved Ginny. She didn’t always see herself as strong, but I thought she was. She said that she was only able to be strong because Zeke was strong and he had her back, but I think she was the one holding everyone together. She would do anything for her family…her whole family, not just her biological family. She is probably one of my favorite main characters of all time. She was such a momma bear when it came to her kids. She would do anything for them. When she was with her friends and family, you could tell that she loved them.

Zeke. What can I say about Zeke? I was extremely surprised by him. First off…he was a police detective. Initially, I found that to be incredibly bizarre. I couldn’t figure out how the life of a police detective and the president of a MC would mesh. There were definitely some moments when the two lives clashed but I was impressed with Zeke’s Lords…they were mostly aboveboard. Another thing I loved about Zeke is he was straight forward about who he was. He wasn’t a bad guy and he wasn’t a jerk masquerading as a good guy. He was a guy that loved his family and his MC. He was tough and didn’t express his emotions…ever. But he showed he cared in other ways. And the one time he really broke down and expressed his emotions to Ginny…verbally…you were left with no doubt that he meant every word he said.

As a couple…Ginny and Zeke were perfect. Even though Zeke wasn’t extremely vocal about his feelings, you could feel how much they love each other. Even though the book had little flashbacks and the history of the couple, I would love to see exactly how they got together. The same goes for other couples in the book.

I wouldn’t call this a traditional romance by any means. The main couple was already together. They had been married for 20 years. But there were definitely romantic moments and I love the relationship between Ginny and Zeke. Plus, there were just enough flashbacks to satisfy me. This book was full of secrets! That was probably the biggest reason I couldn’t put it down (aside from Ginny & Zeke). I just had to know who was behind everything and the truth to all the secrets! It was driving me crazy!

If you loved (or liked…or even enjoyed) Undeniable, then you need to read this book. It is just as addictive. In some ways it’s better (and that’s saying something since I loved Undeniable and gave it 5 starts). It’s just as intense but it’s not as…”gritty”.


To see a photo of my Zeke, click here.

My reviews can also be found on Goodreads. 


No comments:

Post a Comment