Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday Spotlight: Cliffhangers are the devil



Most readers I know have a few hard lines of what they won't read. The biggest one for me is Cliffhangers. 

I really hate them. I don't mind a series of books about one person or couple. I've read Outlander, Harry Potter, Twilight, and many others I can't think of at the moment. The one commonality is that they're a series about the same person/couple and all the books are stand alone stories. I'm good with that. 

What I hate, is when authors write a story and then stop it right in the middle and call it "Part 1" or some crap like that. Don't do that. Give me the full story. 

Are you worried about page numbers? Because I've read books with 1000 pages. Honestly? I'd rather read those 1000 pages and get a full story instead of reaching the half way mark and finding nothing on the next page. 

There's nothing worse than being at a huge moment in a book and turning the page to see that there's nothing there except a note from the author saying "Book 2 coming DATE".....uh...NO. That doesn't work for me. You just ripped me out of my reading groove and pulled me out of the story at the best part just because you want to do two books!? That's a horrible thing to do to a reader. 

I love it when authors give a heads up with a warning that the book will have a cliffhanger. Just because it has one doesn't mean I'll never read it. It just means that I'll wait until the next book is out or close to coming out. 

So, what about you? Do you have any things you hate to read about or refuse to read about?




No comments:

Post a Comment