Thursday, March 28, 2013

Review: Seduction and Snacks by Tara Sivec

Book Description: 

Claire is a twenty-something, single mom that grudgingly helps her best friend sell sex toys while she attempts to make enough money to start her own business to give her foul-mouthed, but extremely loveable (when he's asleep) toddler a better life.

When Carter, the one-night-stand from her past that changed her life forever, shows up in her hometown bar without any recollection of her besides her unique chocolate scent, Claire will make it a point that he remembers her this time.

With Carter's undisguised shock at suddenly finding out he has a four-year-old son and Claire's panic that her stretch marks and slim to none bedroom experience will send the man of her dreams heading for the hills, the pair will do whatever they can to get their happily ever after.

Warning: contains explicit sex, profanity and enough sarcasm to choke a horse.







Oh. My. God! I’m not quite sure I know what to say…

This book was amazing! I don’t recall a time that I laughed so much while reading a book! I know there have been times, I just can’t think of any.

When I first saw this book around GR, I dismissed it due to its (slightly) cheesy cover. Then a friend sent me the link to the book and told me to check it out (thanks Alyssa!), so I did. I was excited to read it. I love stories where couples were separated and find each other again. Then I saw the mixed reviews for the book…I still wanted to read it, but I was kind of scared off. Once I made the decision to get the book, it was unavailable on Amazon (which was really annoying). When it finally came back online, it was on sale, so I jumped on it with no read date in mind. Then came Wednesday…I finished the book I was reading and I couldn’t decide what to read next. I finally decided to start Seduction and Snacks, and I was hooked, and laughing, with the first line…and I kept laughing until the end.
Honestly…there were moments that I laughed so hard, I had years running down my face.And while there were some jokes in the book, it was more the “I can’t believe they said that” moments that made me laugh. They had such colorful vocabularies.

And poor Carter! If I had been warned by everyone with this:
I probably would have had second, third and fourth thoughts about getting involved with someone! (and BTW…I totally pictured Robert De Niro as Clarie’s father). But it definitely cracked me up when Gavin gave him the “I’m watching you…” sign!

I think what I liked most about the book was the characters. If Claire was a real person, I could totally see myself being friends with her…I actually have a friend like her. Granted, my friend isn’t quite as…colorful…as Claire, but personality wise, she’s pretty close. I also loved Carter. He was…amazing, and sweet. I loved how the book went between Claire and Carter’s POVs. I loved seeing how into each other they were. I also loved the beginning of the book. Both Claire and Carter spent time looking for and thinking about the one that got away in college. Even before they met, I could feel the connection between them. I couldn’t wait for them to meet up again and actually get back together.

I was really impressed with Carter’s reaction to finding out about Gavin. Yes, he went off the rails for a week, freaking out but that was understandable. But after wrapping his head around his new reality and the immediate changes to his life, he was right back in there; ready, willing and wanting to be part of Claire and Gavin’s family. There was no blame or anger at Claire for the keeping Gavin from him. Carter accepted what happened, and moved on with his family. That was really refreshing since most stories with the “secret” child have the guy being a jerk when he finds out because the woman didn’t tell him the second she suspected she was pregnant.

This book just seemed real to me. It all seemed like something that could happen to me or someone I know. Carter wasn’t some millionaire that Claire met one night then meets up with later and her whole world is changed because of his money. He’s a normal guy, with a normal job. She was a single mother that had to drop out of college due to her pregnancy. She went home and with the help of her family and friends, made a good life for her son. She worked hard to provide a good life for him. It wasn’t extravagant but it was still comfortable.

And Gavin…Lol. He cracked me up! He was a part sponge and part parrot…everything he soaked up came right back out of his mouth. I’ve been around a few kids like that but Gavin was definitely funnier. He did say a few things that left me with a on my face even as I was laughing.


I will definitely re-read this in the future, it’s a new favorite of mine!


If you want to see my version of Carter, click here.

My review can also be found on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment