Thursday, March 28, 2013

Review: Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens

Book Description: 


For almost two years now, Kiera's boyfriend, Denny, has been everything she's ever wanted: loving, tender and endlessly devoted to her. When they head off to a new city to start their lives together, Denny at his dream job and Kiera at a top-notch university, everything seems perfect. Then an unforeseen obligation forces the happy couple apart.

Feeling lonely, confused, and in need of comfort, Kiera turns to an unexpected source—a local rock star named Kellan Kyle. At first, he's purely a friend that she can lean on, but as her loneliness grows, so does their relationship. And then one night everything changes...and none of them will ever be the same.






***MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS***

I seem to be reading books lately that leave me wondering what to say about them. I haven’t read all of the reviews but from what I have read, I know I’m not alone in having a hard time reviewing this.

I enjoyed Thoughtless. I honestly didn’t think I would. I mostly read it because a friend kept raving about it and telling me to. First, I’m not a fan of infidelity in books. There have been a few I read that I didn’t have an issue with it; for the most part, I don’t like it. Along those lines, I don’t like when characters jump from one person’s bed to another person’s bed. I don’t mind love triangles if they are done well, but I’m not a huge fan.

With all that said. I actually did enjoy Thoughtless. I had a hard time putting it down. Some people complained about the actions of Kiera and Kellan and how awful they were but I didn’t have a huge issue with the majority of their actions. Yes, they made horrible decisions and they didn’t think things through before acting; they reacted emotionally without thinking about how they were hurting each other. Some examples of how I didn’t see their actions as completely horrible:

1.) Kellan let Kiera think that he slept with her sister (bad, yes. But he didn’t really, and even though she cared, she has a boyfriend and she used him when Kellan walked away from her at the club…she has no room to cast judgment.)

2.) Kellan calling Kiera a whore…again…bad, yes. Horrible, no (let me explain). He lashed out in anger and he apologized. Apologizing doesn’t make it right, but you could tell right away that he felt bad about it and didn’t mean it (and the book’s not even in is POV!).

3.) Kellan asking Kiera if he still got to have sex with her after she and Denny got married…again…he lashed out in anger and she retaliated by hitting him. I also don’t think it’s horrible since it was the breaking point for them to admit they loved each other and wanted (needed) to be together.

4.) Sleeping will all the women in Seattle…still not horrible. You already know that I’m not a fan of bed hopping in books, but she’s been sleeping with Denny and rubbing Kellan’s face in it, she’s in a “committed” relationship so she has no reason to be upset. She dumped Kellan. He can do what he wants.

5.) Leaving his bedroom door cracked where she could see him being intimate with a woman…he was just an idiot on this one. She was wrong for peeking. As soon as she saw a woman in the room with him she should have turned away and left. You could make the argument that he knew there was a good possibility that she would come home after class and before work, but there was no guarantee of it, so you can’t really say he was rubbing it in her face that he was being intimate with some nameless chick.

All of these could be considered horrible, but I didn’t really see them that way.

One thing most people (of the reviews I read) seemed to agree upon is that Denny is a sweet heart…I disagreed. I hated Denny. He was immature, and he hindered the story; making it more complicated than it had to be. From the time he went on his business trip he and Kiera grew apart. He didn’t call, which isn’t a huge offense, but if you want to talk to someone you make the effort. He did, in the beginning but then his job became more important and Kiera became an obligation. He took a job in another state after moving across country with his committed girlfriend. If he was really committed to Kiera he would have at least talked to her about a life changing decision. And his response to them being together…When you get out of school (in two years) you can move here. Um…didn’t she already do that? She would be giving up everything (again) to move to be with him (again). To compound the issue he bought up yet another move later in the book…moving to Australia. It’s bad enough she moved across the country to be with him, he’s now asking her to give up everything to move across the world…even further from her family and friends.

Honestly, even though the decision was made as a gut reaction and was motivated by emotion, Kiera did the right thing by breaking up with Denny. Then she promptly did the wrong thing by taking him back the instant he came back. Which is another life changing decision Denny made without her. He gave up his internship to accept the job out of state then gave up his job because Kiera broke up with him…leaving him unemployed. Not smart.

Kiera and Denny were holding each other back. They didn’t have true love because he didn’t even consider her when making a life changing decision; and she is using him as a crutch and letting him make all the decisions for her. He only came back because he panicked when she broke up with him. It was really too bad that she didn't have a backbone and didn’t kick him out of bed when he stripped. I don’t care if she missed him; he’s shown that he hasn’t missed her by not making an effort to call.

I’m not even going to go into Kellan’s beating and what happened with that. I’ll just say that it was extreme and it seriously made me question how “great” Denny seemed.

Denny was my biggest issue with this book. There were frustrating moments overall, but the story kept me engaged and invested in the characters. I thank Alyssa for recommending this to me and I’m glad I read it.

And if you're interested in seeing my version of Kellan, click here.

My review can also be found on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment