Thursday, March 28, 2013

Review: Undeniable by Madeline Sheehan

Book Description: 

Warning: This is not a typical love story. This is an all-consuming, soul-crushing, tear-your-heart-into-pieces story. It’s intense, gritty and raw, dark and disturbing, and it doesn’t happen overnight. This is an epic love story that knows no boundaries and has no time limits. It grows and develops—with hurt, sacrifice, and heartache—over the span of a lifetime.

Eva Fox is the princess of the Silver Demons Motorcycle Club. Growing up with bikers in the club lifestyle is all that she knows. When she’s a young girl, Eva meets the reason for her existence. Deuce West is the sexy, biker bad-ass of the Hell’s Horsemen Motorcycle Club. Like Eva, he was born and raised in the club—but that’s where the similarities end. Their first meeting is innocent, but as Eva matures into a woman, their chance reunions evolve into a fit of lust and love. Fate continues to bring them together time and time again, but their twisted journey is filled with pain, betrayal, and bloodshed that could tear them apart. Eva sees in Deuce what he cannot see in himself—a man worthy of love—and Eva spends her lifetime proving to him that her undeniable love is the one thing he can’t live without.

This is Eva and Deuce’s story.

It wasn’t easy.
Nothing worth doing ever is.
And love is worth everything.



 


 ***MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS***

 Wow. That was a page turner full of drama and angst. I’m not sure I know what to say about this book.

After I read the description, I was on the fence about reading it. It’s not something I typically go for, but I’m always willing to try new things…provided I’m in the right mood. I saw this was getting great ratings here on GR, but I stayed away from reviews. When I’m on the fence, I can easily talk myself out of reading a book. But a couple of friends (and a buddy read) convinced me to give it a shot.

I’m extremely happy that I read it though. I gave this five stars but I can’t say that I absolutely loved this book. I loved parts of it, I definitely enjoyed the overall story but there were also parts of the book that I hated didn’t like. The description says it all with the warning: ***Warning*** (This book contains several aspects of the uglier side of life; it is not for everyone.) It’s true. The uglier aspects didn’t bother me though…well, I should say, they didn’t make me put the book down and stop reading. It was more like a certain character…*cough* Frankie *cough* that I hated. I ended up giving it five stars because I couldn’t put it down. From the moment I started this book, I was hooked…drawn in to the world of Deuce and Eva. I had to know what happened to the sweet little girl that shared her bag of nuts with the rough and tough biker.

Deuce & Eva…they had a messed up relationship. That’s all there is to it. With that said…I loved them as a couple. Yes, there were bad parts, and both of them were idiots I.E. Eva running away instead of explaining herself; Deuce screwing around after promising to give things a go; keeping Frankie alive (ok, that’s a personal opinion…I wanted someone to kill him right after meeting him). But they had some really nice moments where you clearly saw the love they had for each other. Deuce was incredibly protective of her…even when she was still just a kid. I loved it when he gave her his medallion, replacing his father’s that he had given her years earlier. That was the sweetest scene. I also loved it when Deuce would wise up and realize that he loved her and wanted to be with her. There were a few good moments of that. And when he gave Eva her dream motorcycle…*sigh* that was perfect! And I was over the moon when his kids and his bikers all gave him a come to Jesus talk about pulling his head out of his a- and realizing that Eva had been in love with him forever and he was messing it all up.

If you had told me I would end up enjoying this book, I would have called you crazy. This is definitely something I wouldn’t normally go for, but it was well worth the time. I read it in one sitting, staying up all night because the back and forth of Deuce & Eva’s relationship kept me on the edge of my seat.

And needless to say, Deuce lingered in my mind long after I put the book down. (I think he wanted a good review out of me.)

As for the age difference…I had no problems picturing Eva in my head as various ages but for some reason Deuce stopped aging for me when he was in his mid-late 30s. That was just a personal thing…nothing to do with the book. I had a certain picture in my head and it stayed throughout the whole book.

If I had to pick a theme song for this book, it would me Maroon 5's One More Night...the lyrics are just perfect:
You and I go hard at each other like we're going to war.
You and I go rough, we keep throwing things and slamming the door.
You and I get so damn dysfunctional, we stopped keeping score.
You and I get sick, yeah, I know that we can't do this no more.

Yeah, but baby there you go again, there you go again, making me love you.
Yeah, I stopped using my head, using my head, let it all go.
Got you stuck on my body, on my body, like a tattoo.
And now I'm feeling stupid, feeling stupid, crawling back to you.

So I cross my heart and I hope to die
That I'll only stay with you one more night
And I know I said it a million times
But I'll only stay with you one more night

Try to tell you "no" but my body keeps on telling you "yes".
Try to tell you to "stop", but your lipstick got me so out of breath.
I'll be waking up in the morning, probably hating myself.
And I'll be waking up, feeling satisfied but guilty as hell.

Yeah, but baby there you go again, there you go again, making me love you.
(Making me love)
Yeah, I stopped using my head, using my head, let it all go.
(I let it all go)
Got you stuck on my body, on my body, like a tattoo.
(Like a tattoo, yeah)
And now I'm feeling stupid, feeling stupid, crawling back to you.

So I cross my heart and I hope to die
(Yeah)
That I'll only stay with you one more night
(Oh)
And I know I said it a million times
(Yeah)
But I'll only stay with you one more night
(Yeah)

Yeah, baby, give me one more night
Yeah, baby, give me one more night (whoa, yeah)
Yeah, baby, give me one more night (oh, yeah, yeah)

Yeah, but baby there you go again, there you go again making me love you.
Yeah, I stopped using my head, using my head, let it all go.
Got you stuck on my body, on my body like a tattoo.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

So I cross my heart and I hope to die
(Oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh)
That I'll only stay with you one more night
(Oh oh oh oh oh oh)
And I know I said it a million times
(Oh, I said it a million times)
But I'll only stay with you one more night
(Yeah, baby give me one more night)

So I cross my heart and I hope to die (yeah, yeah)
That I'll only stay with you one more night (yeah, yeah)
And I know I said it a million times (yeah, yeah)
But I'll only stay with you one more night (yeah, yeah)

I don't know, whatever. 


To see my Deuce, click here.

My review can also be found on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment