Friday, December 13, 2013

Review: Never Seduce a Scot

13360101Never Seduce a Scot by Maya Banks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



To sum it up: Eveline Armstrong is fiercely loved and protected by her powerful clan, but outsiders consider her “touched.” Beautiful, fey, with a level, intent gaze, she doesn’t speak. No one, not even her family, knows that she cannot hear. Content with her life of seclusion, Eveline has taught herself to read lips and allows the outside world to view her as daft. But when an arranged marriage into a rival clan makes Graeme Montgomery her husband, Eveline accepts her duty— Unprepared for the delights to come. Graeme is a rugged warrior with a voice so deep and powerful that his new bride can hear it, and hands and kisses so tender and skilled that he stirs her deepest passions.

Graeme is intrigued by the mysterious Eveline, whose silent lips are ripe with temptation and whose bright, intelligent eyes can see into his soul. As intimacy deepens, he learns her secret. But when clan rivalries and dark deeds threaten the wife he has only begun to cherish, the Scottish warrior will move heaven and earth to save the woman who has awakened his heart to the beautiful song of a rare and magical love...



★★★★ 4.5 Stars! ★★★★


Damn. I can't say that I'm surprised that I absolutely loved this book- I'm such a huge fan of Maya Banks to begin with, especially her Historical novels and this story definitely didn't disappoint.

The Armstrongs and Montgomerys are both feuding clans with a long history of hatred. They're also both extremely mighty and powerful... A fact the king knows very well. Seeing an important opportunity, he orders a marriage between the chieftain's daughter of the Armstong Clan, Eveline and the almighty chieftain of the Montgomery clan, Graeme all in the hopes of avoiding any future war between the two well-known enemies.





The heroine Eveline, is now officially a favorite heroine of mine. She came to the Montgomery clan and agreed to her marriage to Graeme without a fuss and willing to set aside her hatred and fear. She embraced a marriage that was forced on her and was determined to make the best of a very difficult situation-- It took guts and extreme bravery, not only for an innocent woman but for a woman who was unable to hear as well. The thing I loved the most about her character was that fact that even though she was torn from her family and everything that was dear to her, she still didn't allow that to cloud her judgement on her marriage or new clan. She was a very trusting woman; One who was eager to please and determined to win a place in the hearts of the very people who despised all that she represented. Her determined courageousness was a trait that I not only respected, but admired which is why her character holds such a special place in my heart.

As for the hero Graeme... *sigh* ...Maya Banks certainly knows how to write one hell of an Alpha male and his character didn't disappoint. He stood by his wife, regardless of the fact that she was the enemy's daughter. He was also extremely protective in every sense of the word as well.


"I know, he bit out. No one else has to. But I know and I won't let his sins go unpunished." -Graeme

I love the fact that he was willing to go to any length to ensure that Eveline was always safe- I'm normally more into asshole hero's but there was just something about his caring ways towards Eveline that warmed my heart. He wasn't thrilled with the mandatory marriage at first, but he eventually learned that Eveline was so much more than just the "daft touched" woman she was rumored to be and was quick to make en example of anyone from his clan who was not accepting of her.

Although I absolutely loved this story there was just something that prevented me from giving it a full five-star rating, although it came close to receiving one. It could have been because there were times when I felt like things were a bit too predictable and a tad bit cheesy. Or it could have been that the hero Graeme, although a character I respected and came to love did happen to be a tiny bit too nice for my taste when it comes to how I like my heroes. Again, a personal preference of mine and one that I highly doubt effects others as it does myself.

With those few things aside though, I honestly have nothing negative to say about this story. It was so awe-inspiring that there were times when it actually brought tears to my eyes. It was truly a wonderful start to what I know is going to be a fabulous series.


View all my reviews on Goodreads.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment