Wednesday, January 7, 2015

REVIEW: The Game Plan by R.L. Mathewson

23214808The Game Plan by R.L. Mathewson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Book Description: 

Spend the next 40 years in prison or break her lease early? 

Normally she’d be able to say that this one was a no-brainer, but things have definitely changed since she was forced to move in across the hall from Danny Bradford. 

A lot of things…… 

She wanted to get through one day, just ONE day without Danny Bradford doing something to test the limits to her control, but with that damn smile of his and his habit of leaving her contemplating manslaughter, she didn’t see that happening anytime soon. 

He loved his family, but some days……. 

It was too much, but that was okay, because his small neighbor living across the hallway provided him with endless hours of entertainment. Not on purpose of course, but did it really matter as long she made him smile?



     









I’ll admit that while I love the NFH series, I haven’t always had the best of luck with all the books. I had a hard time connecting with the third book but the series was redeemed with the trip to the past with book 4. I’ll also admit that I tend to forget about this series with all the other books that are out there. So this was one I wasn’t highly anticipating like other people. The release sort of snuck up on me. The advantage of this is I didn’t have the built up excitement and high expectations. That worked in my favor because while I haven’t read through the reviews yet, I have seen the ratings and this one wasn’t as well loved as some of the previous books.

But it worked for me. Granted, Danny royally pissed me off when he messed with Jodi’s food. Anyone that remembers my review of the second book in this series knows, you don’t mess with a girl’s food! Bradford or no Bradford! They don’t like it when their food is stolen so they shouldn’t steal a woman’s food! (Especially pizza but seeing as that was book two, I’ll move on…*muttering to self…Stupid Trevor*) Getting back to Danny pissing me off…the stunt he pulled with her car…not cool dude. So not cool.

One of the things I loved most was Danny’s nickname for Jodi…Tinkerbell aka Tink. Lol, I’m not typically one for nicknames, but I loved that name and it suited her perfectly! It got to the point that I couldn’t even remember her name and just thought of her as Tink.

My one issue actually came with the Bradford family. Don’t get me wrong, I love that family. My biggest complaint for book 3 was that I didn’t get the connection and there wasn’t much of the characters we’d already come to know and love. But in this case, there was almost too much togetherness. I really didn’t mind Trevor and Jason. Trevor especially since he and his wife own the apartment building Danny and Jodi live in. And Jason just because I love him. I didn’t even mind the occasional visit from Danny’s brother Adrian. Especially since he’s a doctor and lord knows poor Jodi was in constant need of a doctor. But the family trip was too much for me. Add in the fact that apparently Jodi witnessed not one, but two buffet sessions with the whole Bradford family and it was just too much. Mostly because they tend to blur together since all of them say bastard every other word. (for the record, I don’t have a problem with that but when you have 20 guys all sounding the same, it become too much to keep straight).

Speaking of those buffet sessions…they were hinted at in book two, but Zoe was in the bathroom when it happened so she missed it all. Jodi saw everything and it left her in the fetal position under a table. So…I would really like to know exactly what went down to leave her so traumatized. 5 books in and we’ve never seen it. I want to see the horror. Because it has to be bad to make people cry and curl up under a table.

Other than that, I did enjoy this edition of the Bradford family and can’t wait to read more. :)


View all my reviews on Goodreads



No comments:

Post a Comment