Thursday, November 20, 2014

REVIEW: The Rental by Rebecca Berto




The Rental by Rebecca Berto 
(The Rental #1) 
Publication date: September 22nd 2014
Genres: Adult, Erotica, Romance







At first, Rick Delaney watched Vee Wyland with the hungry eyes of a fox as if she were a rabbit … his rabbit. But one day, he slunk away without notice.

Months away from graduating high school, Vee’s life is on the verge of crumbling. At home, dire finances and long hours test her family. Her boyfriend hardly pays attention to her. And she can’t shake her feelings for his older brother, Rick.

Then, all in one night, tragedy tears her teetering life into shreds.

When Rick and Vee reunite, the sparks fly. However, she unwittingly signs away a future for both of them. In his world, a place called The Rental, she becomes Victoria and Rick becomes Rhett. One part of her watches with fascination, while the other unfurls and embraces her sexual awakening. It began as a game, but the consequences are real.

Following their heart’s desire is forbidden, but walking away could strip their hope for a future.

The Rental is an erotic romance that explores how sex isn’t purely physical; sometimes, it’s a gateway to your soul.






Prior to starting this book, I read the prequel novella Masquerade. I enjoyed that. It was a nice set up for this book. It set up the attraction between Vee and Rick. And I loved Rick's POV. I loved his personality and his struggle to stay away from Vee because she was still too young for him. The reason I bring this up is because everything I loved about the novella was missing in the book. 

Don't get me wrong, the book wasn't bad. But it was from Vee's POV and she just didn't do anything for me. I didn't hate her POV in the novella, but I loved Rick's. So I was slightly disappointed that The Rental started from Vee's POV. But I kept reading, and hoping that Rick would get a POV. But then the book kept going and before I knew it, I was at 50% and it was the Vee show. I missed Rick and being in his head. To me, Vee came off as a spoiled girl that thought of nothing but what she wanted and how she was right and knew everything. I really disliked her drug usage. I didn't feel it was necessary to the story. And since it was all Vee all the time, I never felt an emotional connection between Vee and Rick. And I know it was there at some point because I felt it in the novella. 

I was intrigued by the premise of The Rental, and the job Vee ends up with. It was an interesting twist and it threw quite a monkey wrench into their relationship. They are able to explore their attraction to each other during sessions with clients, but while the scenes were steamy, I was really hoping for more one-on-one time for them. 

While I was intrigued by the overall premise of this, and completely drawn into the prequel novella by Rick, I'm not sure I would continue with the series. I would need more than just Vee and to know that they were going to have a real relationship with some time with just the two of them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment