Sunday, May 7, 2017

REVIEW: Surviving Raine by Shay Savage

17447588Surviving Raine by Shay Savage
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Book Description: 

As the captain of a schooner catering to the elite on the Caribbean Seas, Sebastian Stark does his best to avoid any human encounters. Interacting with people isn’t his thing, and he prefers the company of a bottle of vodka, a shot glass, and maybe a whore. There’s no doubt he’s hiding from a checkered past, but he does well keeping everything to himself…

…until the night his schooner capsizes, and he’s stuck on a life raft with one of the passengers.

Raine’s young, she’s cute, and Bastian would probably be into her if he wasn’t suffering from alcohol withdrawal. As the days pass, DTs, starvation, and dehydration become the norm. Even the most closed person starts to open up when he thinks he’s going to die, but when she realizes their traumatic pasts are connected, it’s no longer the elements that have Bastian concerned.

He has no idea how he’s going to Survive Raine.















This is a book that I've had my eye on for a while. A friend recommended it to me forever ago, but something always kept me from reading it. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it? But anyway, I was scrolling through a new friend's shelves on GR and this was on there and it just hit me. It jumped off the screen and screamed "READ ME!!!!!!"...so, I finished my current read and picked this up.

I never expected to love this book as much as I did. I don't always have the best of luck with books recommended by ✿Alyssa✿. She has particular tastes and while they sometimes match up with stuff I'll enjoy, other times...well...🙈...Let's just say they're best not spoken of. 🙊

But this book...this book was one I couldn't put down. I literally fell asleep reading and woke up the next morning with my kindle on my chest and my glasses still on. I couldn't wait to get back to reading it and was cursing the fact that I had to work all day yesterday instead of reading it.

I was a little surprised that the book was entirely from Sebastian's POV. This isn't a bad thing, but if you know Alyssa, it's surprising. But I enjoyed being in his head. I'm not sure if the story would have worked as much if it had been from Raine's POV. Sebastian is definitely one messed up dude. There were times, when he was talking about his past and the "games" he'd participated in, that I had flash backs to reading the Hunger Games. It very much reminded me of that, only...illegal and run by criminal organizations and such.

There were definitely some twists that I didn't initially see coming. I thought the author did a good job with those. She really kept me on the edge of my seat.

I loved how the two came together, how they were forced to rely on each other. I loved watching their feeling build slowly over the course of the book. I was almost as disappointed as Sebastian was when they were finally rescued.

I'd definitely recommend this book!

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment