Sunday, June 30, 2013

REVIEW: Secret Maneuvers (Ex Ops, #1) by Jessie Lane

Secret Maneuvers (Ex Ops, #1)Secret Maneuvers by Jessie Lane
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Book Description: 
Some mistakes from the past haunt us forever... unless fate steps in with a second chance.

One 'dear John' letter haunts Bobby Baker's every living moment. It’s the letter he stupidly wrote to his high school sweetheart, Belle, right after he left to join the Army. The letter that he told her that he wasn't so sure if they were ready for forever yet. But before he can let her know that the letter, and his second thoughts, are nothing but a mistake, she up and disappears from the small Georgia town they were both raised in.

Fifteen years later, Belle unknowingly walks back into Bobby's life when her job as an ATF Agent forces her to work with a group of men secretly headed by the CIA to help her track down whoever is involved in funneling black market weapons to a drug cartel in Mexico.

Bobby will use this mission to try and soothe Belle's hurt feelings while proving to her that their love is still meant for forever. He'll use every dirty trick he's learned since he joined the Army to maneuver her back into his life for the long haul. But Belle's not making it easy as she keeps him at arm's length in the hopes that mistakes of her own never come to light.






 


This book...was…I don’t know. This book was awful. And completely awesome. I think I’m speechless. This really was an awesome book. I was hooked from the first page. 


Jessie Lane is incredibly talented. And it’s because of that talent that this book was awful for me.

Bobby was hot, alpha, military, and oh, did I mention hot?


I loved him. And…I hated him. With a passion. With a burning Passion. A burning passion that left me wanting to cause him physical harm.

One of my friends said they had a love-hate relationship with Bobby, and I could totally see why. But it went beyond that for me. I was literally beside myself while reading this book. 



Bobby was constantly hitting every mark on my Irritable Acts meter. He started in the first chapter with the Dear Jane letter. And that was not an good omen for Bobby. Most of the book was spent with me wanting to alternate between me wanting to Gibbs head slap him

and me wanting to go all Bartok on him.

Then he moved into me wanting to drop kick him

verging on me wanting to go all Queen of Hearts on him. Then he jumped right over that line and stayed in the Queen of Hearts zone for quite a while.

But Bobby was special. He did something no other character has ever done. Quite frankly, I was shocked.

And this is where I became beside myself while reading this. Bobby moved past Queen of Hearts into an unknown zone. I don’t even have a name for it because it’s never happened to me before. But Bobby pushed me over the edge. I sat there in shock at how much of an idiot and jerk he was.


And don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against jerk heroes. They’re actually quite enjoyable to read. I just don’t think I’ve ever encountered one quite like Bobby. I was in shock.



Like I said, Jessie Lane is incredibly talented to leave me stupefied, and having to come up with a new level of irritation for my meter. But (and I’ll only admit this under duress), Bobby did redeem himself in the end. I didn’t think it was possible, but he did it.

Since Bobby annoyed me so bad, I kept wanting someone to call him on this actions.

And I was not disappointed. It’s not often that a character is taken to task (more than once) for their actions, especially when they should be, so I was extremely glad to see more than one person call Bobby on his behavior. I was standing up cheering at those moments.

Moving on from Bobby’s issues, the story was really good. While it had a police/military type of story going on, it wasn’t the main focus. That was the relationship between Annabelle and Bobby. And their chemistry was off the charts!

But they had their sweet moments too.


Overall, this book is pretty much





As I was writing this review, I had the radio on and this song started playing and I realized it was kind of perfect for Annabelle and Bobby: 





Lyrics:



Right from the start

You were a thief

You stole my heart

And I your willing victim

I let you see the parts of me

That weren't all that pretty

And with every touch you fixed them



Now you've been talking in your sleep, oh, oh

Things you never say to me, oh, oh

Tell me that you've had enough

Of our love, our love



Just give me a reason

Just a little bit's enough

Just a second we're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again

It's in the stars

It's been written in the scars on our hearts

We're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again



I'm sorry I don't understand

Where all of this is coming from

I thought that we were fine

(Oh, we had everything)

Your head is running wild again

My dear we still have everythin'

And it's all in your mind

(Yeah, but this is happenin')



You've been havin' real bad dreams, oh, oh

Used to lie so close to me, oh, oh

There's nothing more than empty sheets

Between our love, our love

Oh, our love, our love



Just give me a reason

Just a little bit's enough

Just a second we're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again

I never stopped

You're still written in the scars on my heart

You're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again



Our tear ducts can rust

I'll fix it for us

We're collecting dust

But our love's enough

You're holding it in

You're pouring a drink

No nothing is as bad as it seems

We'll come clean



Just give me a reason

Just a little bit's enough

Just a second we're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again

It's in the stars

It's been written in the scars on our hearts

That we're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again



Just give me a reason

Just a little bit's enough

Just a second we're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again

It's in the stars

It's been written in the scars on our hearts

That we're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again



Oh, we can learn to love again

Oh, we can learn to love again

Oh, oh, that we're not broken just bent
And we can learn to love again

My reviews can also be found on Goodreads.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment