Friday, July 18, 2014

REVIEW: Sound Advice by L.B. Dunbar

22064954Sound Advice by L.B. Dunbar
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Book Description: 

“Nana’s Rules to Live By”

Gentlemen should always open the door for a lady.

I was busy and I didn’t have time for a vacation, let alone a weekend away. When a frantic phone call from an old neighbor brought me to my grandmother’s summer home, I wasn’t prepared for an extended stay. And I especially wasn’t prepared for the man holding the door open to the radio repair shop who made a lasting first impression.

In attempts at a relationship, a gentleman should always make the first move.

Calling Jess Carter’s clenched jaw and denim-colored eyes part of his standoffish manner was an understatement. His brooding exterior bordered on being downright rude. From the moment I bumped into him, quite literally, our lives began to intertwine in a way that made me question what I wanted.

Children should be seen and not heard.

Jess had secrets and I was determined to get to the bottom of them. Even he didn’t know the solutions to all his problems, I wanted to help. In doing so, I might have drawn too close to the truth, forcing Jess to risk something he wasn’t sure he could chance again. I had decisions to make for myself and it’s hard to know whose advice to take when so many questions remain unanswered.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22064954.Sound_Advice__Sensations_Collection_1_






This book sounded good to me. And I was quickly hooked into the story but I started having issues really early on.

I liked Emily. She was reserved by friendly and she returned home to help care for her grandmother after she started acting forgetful. I also loved Katie. She was such a sweet heart. And I couldn't help by be intrigued by the mystery that surrounded her and feel for her for all she's been through. I love the connection she and Emily forged. It was immediate and so sweet. I also liked Emily's scenes with her grandmother Nana, and I liked Nana's little pears of wisdom at the start of every chapter.

My biggest issue with the story was Katie's father Jess. From the first moment he was introduced, he was a cold jerk that rubbed me the wrong way. And with long hair and a bandana (his description), all I could picture was Duck Dynasty and that wasn't appealing to me at all (looks wise). Needless to say, I never warmed up to him so I wasn't invested in his relationship with Emily.

The author definitely has talent because she kept me hooked despite me not being into Jess. I'd definitely read more from her in the future.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment