Saturday, August 3, 2013

Review: Taming the Bachelor (Moretti Novels, #1) by M.J. Carnal


Taming the Bachelor (Moretti Novels, #1)Taming the Bachelor by M.J. Carnal
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Ex marine and bad boy, Mark Moretti, made a pact with his childhood friends to live life to the fullest and never allow a woman to tie him down. After years of success and the world at his feet, he is determined to make that pact a reality. A move back to his beloved Los Angeles threatens to change the future he had written for himself when the shy and beautiful, Sophie Barringer, ends up being the Maid of Honor at his sister's wedding. 

Sophie has been burned at love. The last thing she needs is a self proclaimed bachelor to turn her head. But her heart may have other plans. 

Forced to spend a week together in paradise, can they deny their steamy chemistry and stay away from each other or will they give in to lust and take the chance? Can Mark get over his player reputation to take a shot at love or will fate be cruel enough to deny them their happily ever after?






    


Oh jeez... This will probably not be pretty... Just sayin.

★: HOT Cover
★: HOT Sex
★: ....... (I'm not really sure what this one is for)

                                       *There may be some spoilers*
I have some pretty mixed emotions where this book is concerned. First let me say, I really hate writing negative reviews. I feel like authors pour their hearts into their books and we as readers reap the rewards. I love to read and I love to find new books. I do understand that debuts are generally not always perfect, it is the first time around and we learn as we go and all. But sometimes a book just doesn't do it for me. (That's me trying to put it nicely) Such is the case here. Which really disappointed me because I was looking forward to this one. There is a super hot cover. There is super hot sex. There are some pretty decent supporting characters. The story line was one that sounds very promising but kinda falls down somewhere along the way. I have a feeling that point was when Mark and Sophie hit their "troubles". Please bare with me as my thoughts are still a jumbled mess from this book. Since I've pretty much already listed my likes, here are my dislikes. (I'll be channeling my friend Lindsay's Irritable Acts Code here)

Layla's introduction: Where the hell did she come from and how is it her and Mark are instant bff's? Hugging all up on each other the instant they meet? Um, inappropriate much!?! (She's Sophie's sister, btw) I get he wanted to have the one person that meant everything to Sophie there to help him pick out a house and ring.... But shouldn't that be Sophie's job? And did he have to get so physical with her? And how's that instant friendship so strong that when shit hits the fan Mark and Layla turn on Sophie? Hmmmm???

Sophie: Come ON girl!!! Really?!! You date a guy for four years and catch him cheating on you. THEN, you meet the ultimate bachelor who has straight up admitted he doesn't do relationships, or the same girl twice for that matter. But instead of treading that water cautiously (as her inner monologue started out doing) She jumps in the water, literally,  and tries to do him in full view of all their friends! *Insert Gibbs Head Slap* [


And when Caleb brings the topic of Mark with another woman (Layla) up, instead of confronting his supposed cheating ass, she runs and hides. Granted, I probably woulda done the same thing, but then when it all comes out and she's the one apologizing, I just got pissed. How was it Sophie's fault that she believed her friend that her boyfriend had another woman over? HE DID! Even though it turned out to be harmless (ish, imo) the fact that Mark and Layla completely blew Sophie off rather than try to see it from her pov, was awful. *Insert Red Foreman* [


This was the time when I seriously considered DNF'ing because off all the stupidity going on. But I was somewhat intrigued as to how things would end so I forged ahead. Maybe not my smartest move, but I never claimed to be a genius. Moving along. So everyone gets pissed because Caleb assumes Mark is cheating on Sophie and he brings it up at Molly's wedding. No one stops to think of How it actually looks to find a random chick in Mark's apartment, after seeing him on the street in front of a jewelry store with the same random chick while engaging in what looks like flirting - WHILE HE HAS A GIRLFRIEND!!! Not to mention he outright lies to Sophie saying he'll be busy at work all week, then when Caleb calls his office on speakerphone the secretary says he's out all week. THEN when Caleb and Sophie call his cell, he says he's at work but there is a distinct feminine voice in the background. How exactly does that not all add up to look like HE'S CHEATING!!! Omg I need to quit before I get riled up. So yeah, then of course we have Sophie all grovelling and taking the entire blame for the breakup even though, I felt, with all the evidence supporting the cheating claim, she was justified in thinking the worst. Blah Blah Blah she  faints at work and whadaya know, she's pregnant! *Insert Fake Shocked Gasp* Of course things get better from there. Mark pulls his head out of his ass and 'forgives' her and blah blah blah they live happily ever after.

                                             I approve this message:

View all my reviews






No comments:

Post a Comment