Monday, June 23, 2014

REVIEW: Duty Bound (The Protectors, #1) by Samantha Chase

21495806Duty Bound by Samantha Chase
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Book Description: 

I used to think I could be a hero, but one deadly night destroyed that delusion. So I’ve come home defeated. My military career, my best friend, my purpose—all of it is lost.

What I find is her.

She’s my best friend’s sister, and she’s everything I shouldn’t want. She’s on a hopeless quest for answers about her brother’s death, but those are secrets that can never come to light. She’s always been a fighter, and she desperately wants the truth.

I desperately want her.

Someone is trying to kill her now, and she won’t let me keep her safe. I have to do it anyway, even if she doesn’t trust me, even if she hates me for it. A man protects what’s precious to him, whether or not he can ever claim her for his own. So she becomes my purpose.

I’ll become a hero for her.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21495806-duty-bound






This was exactly what I was looking for. I was in the mood for a book with a military hero, so when I saw this in my list of books to read I skipped others that were supposed to come first to read it.

The book starts out with a heart breaking scene of Gavin's funeral. I could feel the heartbreak of Levi, Sebastian, Declan, and Cole. And don't even get me started on the grief of Harper and her family. But Gavin's death left his friends at loose ends. It completely changed their lives and forced them onto a new road that they weren't sure how to navigate.

One of the things I loved about this book is the fact that the four guys had a hard time adjusting to being back in civilian life. Because the reality is, not everybody immediately adjusts to being home and out of the military. And all four guys went back to their families and home towns, and all of them were dealing with familial and town's expectations for them. And they all ended up trying to find their way, building new, non-military lives. And that does finally come together for them at the end of the book. Levi has an idea for them and they all agree it's something they want to make a go at. But until that point, they were just existing.

I really liked Levi. He was such a good guy. I really enjoyed his POV because he was pragmatic and down to earth and logical. But he was also protective and beyond attracted to Harper...and that brings me to my issue...Harper. I did like her but she also drove me crazy. I felt like there were times where she was stuck in TSTL syndrome. And it was directly related to her ego when dealing with Levi. It didn't matter how logical he was or how right he was, if he said the sky was blue she would disagree just because he said it. And there were times that she drove me crazy. I like strong heroines, but I also like it , nay, love it, when they're also smart. And I felt like her intelligence went on vacation when she was arguing with Levi just because.

But aside from Harper's attitude issues, I really enjoyed this book. I can't wait to see Levi's friends and their books.

View all my reviews on Goodreads



 

No comments:

Post a Comment