Friday, November 5, 2021

Review: Only One Kiss by Natasha Madison


Only One Kiss by Natasha Madison
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Book Desctiption: 

Ralph
Being traded to Dallas was a dream come true. I had everything I wanted, my game had never been better, and my wife was due to have our baby any day now.

What could go wrong?
Everything.

I was now raising our baby on my own. After hockey practice and games, I didn't have time to sleep, let alone make sure my social media was up to par.

I never thought I'd get a second chance at love.


Candace

When my hotshot brother was drafted in the NHL, he didn't have time to do his social media, so I took over for him. Little did I know it would become my career.

My plate was full with over fifty NHL players, and I wasn't taking on any new clients.

Yet when he showed up on my doorstep with the cutest little girl in the whole world, I couldn't say no.

I was just helping, but it turned into more than that. He's the man I've been waiting for.

All it takes is one touch, one night, one chance, and only one kiss.









Oh boy.

Sooooo....I'm not known to read books in series order. Especially when they're stand alone books. I randomly saw an excerpt/ad on facebook for book 5 in the series, was captivated by book 3 so I read that first.

Now, you might be asking why I'm telling you all of that, and here's why...I read this book AFTER reading book 3. I'd already met Ralph and Candace (as an aside, I really hate the name Ralph. It makes me think of the Simpsons)



Anyway...I fell in love with them as a couple. I loved them as secondary characters. I wanted to read their story and see how they got together.

However...I didn't love them in this book. First, I felt like I was kind of bored throughout most of the book. By time the steamy times happened, I was in skimming mode just to get to the rest of the story. I hate when I enter skimming mode. I love to get lost in a book. I hate feeling like I want to be done with it. But, I started skimming past the steam. I knew there would be something to throw a monkey wrench into things for them, things were going along to perfectly...and I was right. We got to that point and I swear to god, I wanted to beat my head on my desk (yes, I was reading at work. Don't judge me).



By the time I got to the scene where Ralph made a huge mistake, I was done. No, I didn't DNF it. I finished the book but I didn't care about the ending anymore. I finished it just so I could get to this review (which says something about how irritated I am because I'm ACTUALLY writing a review.)



I know right!?

Honestly, Candace took Ralph back WAY to easily. I'm sorry, but no. Yes, I hold grudges, especially against fictional characters. I wasn't happy with the way things worked out. It just angered me.

Did I hate the book? No.
Did I love the book? Also No.
Will I read it again? Most likely not (and I love rereading books)
Will I continue with the series? Yes.

Oh, since I'm ranting, I should also point out that there was a continuity error. In this book, Ralph was hiring a nanny for his daughter, and the nanny used to work for Manning (aka the hero of book 3) and it's pointed out that the nanny used to watch Manning's CHILDREN. Uhhhhh. Someone should have caught this detail, because Manning only had 1 child in his book. Yes, Manning's book comes later, but if he already has children (as in plural), why was there only 1 kid in his book?

Anywho, that's it. I'm done. Read on my peeps!




No comments:

Post a Comment