Thursday, January 5, 2023

REVIEW: Tied by Carian Cole

 

Tied (All Torn Up, #2)Tied by Carian Cole
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Book Description:

Tyler Grace was many things.
A myth. An outcast. A hero.
My prince.


My childhood and innocence were stolen when I was kidnapped at five years old. For eleven years I clung to my childhood fairytale books, waiting for the prince I hoped would someday save me and carry me off to a happily ever after.

I had no idea my savior would come in the form of a scarred recluse, covered in tattoos, who can't--or won't--speak a word.

But the moment our eyes met I knew he was the one. My prince.

Tyler Grace is haunted by his tragic past and he's sentenced himself to a lifetime of solitude in the woods. He's as lost in society as I am; scarred just as much on the inside as the outside. Just like me.

He saved my life that day he found me and killed my captor with his bare hands. I was warned to stay away from him. But I can't stop thinking about him. I ache to hear his voice and see him smile. And I want nothing more than to be the one to break through his walls.

I think he's the only one who can break through mine, too.

Together we can have love, happiness, and a closeness that once felt impossible to have. But can we overcome the horrible twisted past that ties us together?


** Tied can be read as a single book, and has a happy ending








I finished this book last night and didn't have any real intentions of reviewing it. I've gotten out of the habit of writing reviews, so it wasn't really even a thought. But after finishing this, and sleeping on it, I've found that I can't get it out of my head.

I'm honestly torn about the rating of this book. I initially gave it 5 stars, but there could be an argument for 4 stars. Now, I realize 1 star doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things, but it's part of what has kept this book at the forefront of my brain.

The case for 5 stars:
• The book was addictive.

I honestly couldn't put this book down. Yes, I read myself into a nap (or 2) and I had to put this book down once or twice for a break because a character or 2 pissed me of but I was addicted.

• The book elicited a strong emotional response from me.

And I'm not talking about the kidnapping and abuse of Holly, or Tyler's accident here. I had so many issues with how both of them were treated after their traumas. Case in point...I LOATHED Holly's mom. I'm sorry, but that woman was so shallow and didn't deserve Holly's (or Zac). And don't get me started on the whole damn town and how they treated Tyler. Neither of them deserved to be ostracized for things that happened to them, that they couldn't control.

• They way both Holly and Tyler dealt with their traumas.

Both of these felt real. It wasn't like the author brushed either trauma under the rug. The relationship between them was a slow burn because of both traumas. it took time for them to trust each other, and themselves. It felt real, not brushed aside.

• Holly and Tyler actually TALKED things out.

When issues came up, they didn't run from them, they talked about it and worked through them. I'm not talking about the initial freak out, walk away (or run away) and come back to ignore it. I get needing time to process, so the initial run away, get distance makes total sense to me...but Holly and Tyler came back and talked about it. They didn't shy away from tough conversations. It's a huge pet peeve of mine in books when characters don't talk.

• The pacing/twists and turns of the story.

I freely admit that I'm an impatient person, so even though I wanted to know things NOW, I also appreciated the way the author wrote the book/dropped information as the story unfolded. I think this was a huge part of why I was addicted, I had to know what detail would be dropped next.

The case for 4 stars:
While the book was really good, I can't see myself rereading this book.

Ok, ok. You've convinced me. it was a 5 star read. So...I do recommend this book, even though I fully realize it could be triggering for people.




No comments:

Post a Comment